Warami. Marhaba. Jingi wallah!
My name is Mykaela Saunders and I’m a Koori and Lebanese writer, teacher and community researcher. My writing has been widely published across forms, genres and disciplines, I’ve won prizes for fiction, poetry, essays and research, and my projects have attracted funding and fellowships.
I’m the editor of THIS ALL COME BACK NOW, the world’s first collection of blackfella speculative fiction, forthcoming with UQP in 2022. I’m working on a novel and two short story collections –
- Last Rites of Spring is a psychedelic nightmare in novel form and has been described as “a confronting and experimental narrative journey through the damages of the past, an oppressive present and an uncertain future.”
- Always Will Be is a collection of Goori Futurism stories – speculative fiction that envisions sovereign Goori futures in the Tweed.
- With Teeth is a collection of satirical and absurdist stories exploring contemporary Aboriginal experiences in the arts, activism, and academia.
I’m of Dharug descent, I belong to the Tweed Goori community, and I’m working class and queer. I’ve worked in Aboriginal education in various capacities since 2003, and taught at the tertiary level since 2012. My research explores my community’s past, present and future.
I live and work with gratitude on the lands of the Dharug, Kulin, and Bundjalung nations – Sydney, Melbourne, and the northern rivers of NSW.
- Liminal Nonfiction Prize 2021, Communing With Uncle Kev
Grants & fellowships
- The Next Chapter Fellowship 2021, Last Rites of Spring
- Australia Council for the Arts Cherish II 2020, This All Come Back Now
- EWF At Home Residency 2020, Last Rites of Spring
- Creative Victoria VicArts Grant 2020, With Teeth
- Copyright Agency First Nations Fellowship 2020, Goori Futurism
- Grace Marion Wilson Glenfern Fellowship 2019, Goori Futurism
© Mykaela Saunders, 2021