At Glenfern mansion, 2019
Warami. Marhaba. Jingi wallah!
My name is Mykaela Saunders and I’m a Koori and Lebanese writer, teacher and community researcher. I’ve won prizes for fiction, poetry, essays and research, my writing has been widely published across forms, genres and disciplines, and my projects have attracted funding and fellowships.
I’m the editor of THIS ALL COME BACK NOW, the world’s first collection of blackfella speculative fiction, out now with UQP.
I’ve worked in Aboriginal education in various capacities since 2003, and taught at the tertiary level since 2012. My research explores my community’s past, present and future.
I’m of Dharug descent and I belong to the Tweed Goori community. I’m [actually] working class and queer. I live and work with gratitude on the lands of the Dharug, Kulin, and Bundjalung nations – Sydney, Melbourne, and the northern rivers of NSW.
- Liminal Nonfiction Prize 2021, Communing With Uncle Kev Through the Archives, 1991-2021
Grants & fellowships
- The Next Chapter Fellowship 2021
- Australia Council for the Arts Cherish II 2020
- EWF At Home Residency 2020
- Creative Victoria VicArts Grant 2020
- Copyright Agency First Nations Fellowship 2020
- Grace Marion Wilson Glenfern Fellowship 2019
© Mykaela Saunders, 2022